So I’ve been feeling fairly rubbish over the last few weeks. I know I bang on about positive thinking and all that, and of course I totally aspire to all I talk about, but sometimes things just get too much and old patterns creep their way back in. It just happens. Especially in the winter. When I’m like this, I’m useless. I’m not good enough. I don’t know where I’m going. It’s not fair, I can’t do it….etc… I have little to no inspiration, and friends and social activities seem like torture. I think “No! Not again, I thought I’d put that behind me!” Ah but everything is cyclical. How the bodies of all creatures behave, how our Earth lives (climate, oceans, natural disasters,etc.), our cyclical rotation around a star, the star’s rotation around the galaxy. There are even galaxies rotating around our own galaxy. If everything has a cyclical property it must be inherent in the Nature of the Universe. We are all energetic beings. Part of the cycles of nature. Are you experiencing this right now?
In my experience there are two significant poor-health contributors that can cause a rock-bottom type scenario. These are conditions that so so so many individuals go through (women in particular) but don’t know what they have, or are completely misdiagnosed. I have battled (and continue to battle) these problems. I just want to bring the awareness out for anyone who may experience the following:
Adrenal Burnout. What the hell is Adrenal Burnout? Have you ever felt a surge of Adrenaline in the evening and then crashed and burned the next day into a pathetic heap that you can’t seem to get yourself out of? Adrenal fatigue.
The adrenals are walnut-sized glands located just above the kidneys and are responsible for producing hormones such as cortisol, estrogen, testosterone and adrenaline (among others). The most common symptom of adrenal fatigue is a general feeling of tiredness and lack of enthusiasm. Your adrenals can become fatigued after prolonged periods of stress and excessive exercise (among other things, diet, lifestyle etc.). Stress causes the adrenals to produce adrenalin, the body’s ‘emergency’ hormone. If this is repeated over and over again (for example regular cups of coffee), the adrenals eventually become depleted and the body becomes unable to cope with stress. Adrenal fatigue can cause poor focus, poor memory, brain fog, irritability, anger, dizziness, depression, crying spells, panic attacks, low libido, persistent extreme fatigue, hyperactivity, cravings for sweets and alcohol, insomnia, poor coordination. bi-polar type mood swings, plus more. There is an excellent article about it here, which I recommend you read. Jess Ainscough “AKA “The Wellness Warrior” has a great article on it here too. She is an inspiration to everyone, having won the battle against “incurable” cancer through natural healing. Please, if you haven’t already, follow her blog!
Candida Overgrowth Candida albicans is a naturally occurring genus of yeast that lives in our intestinal tract with many other microorganisms. Problems occur when something upsets the balance of these organisms and candida begins to multiply and over-populate. What typically triggers this is the use of antibiotics and/or the pill (I used both excessively before I knew any better). Unfortunately antibiotics also kill the good bacteria vital to healthy intestinal flora. A diet dominated by processed foods, sugar and alcohol will exacerbate this condition significantly. The symptoms are much the same as Adrenal Burnout and candida overgrowth can also cause urinary problems and thrush. This website is excellent and all the advice is free. It provides in-depth info on diet and supportive supplements.
The health of your adrenals is linked to both your immune system and the health of your digestive system. Weak adrenals are often symptomatic of Candida overgrowth – unhealthy adrenals weaken your immune system and your defenses against Candida.
The good news? You can treat it. It takes some looking after yourself and perseverance, but it can change your whole life. It is important not to drag yourself into victim mode. It can be the best thing that happens to a person. It is a wake-up call. Often, some area of life is out of balance or alignment. Addressing burnout or Candida overgrowth is often the starting point for a deeper exploration of self and of life at a deeper level. Most people live superficially. Correction often causes a person to begin to live at a much deeper level and to understand the body and mind from a more spiritual perspective as well.
Now, pointers to help you get through this.
- Getting adequate sleep. I have said it before and I’ll say it again. SLEEP!! Seven to eight hours a night is ideal and enhanced, if you can get to bed by 10 pm. Our bodies heal when we’re sleeping. Also allow yourself frequent relaxation holidays such as retreats, escapes to the country or the beach.
- Eliminate refined sugar and simple carbs. They feed candida overgrowth and stress your adrenals.
- Eat Wholefoods Eat organic where possible, fresh, wholefoods. Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains, and lightly cook most of your vegetables (steam or grill). Eat small portions of Organic animal protein if you consume meat. For candida, cut out fruit for the first two weeks and then gradually reintroduce it to your diet. Berries and apples are best as they have a lower fructose content
- Oust the coffee. Try drinking herbal teas instead. A great and tasty substitute for coffee is Dandelion or Chicory Root tea. Drink plenty of water. This will assist in flushing out Candida
- Gentle Exercise Light exercise will improve your circulation and support your adrenals. Don’t overdo it though – a strenuous workout will place your body under stress and weaken your adrenals further. Yoga and dancing are fantastic and will get you in touch with yourself! Personally, I love ZUMBA!!
- Meditation You can read about the type of Meditation I do here. However there are many types of Meditation and it’s about what works for you. A daily meditation practice will help bring you back into balance.
- Colonics or Coffee Enemas These will flush out the nasties in your colon and reduce bloating and other symptoms, and help in the Candida recovery process. Have a look at The Wellness Warrior’s Coffee Enema demo
- Sauna Having a sauna is a way to increase the elimination of toxins from your body and can take some pressure off your immune system. It is also very relaxing if you can handle the heat!
Have a look in some depth at the links I have provided. Help is out there. Eliminating these conditions can dramatically change your life. Ups and downs happen, but if you can learn to listen to your body better and understand why things happen, there will be a HUGE difference in how you manage the “Other than the best days ever“
Much health and happiness to you!